Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Death

Yesterday I received word that two families I know of had lost a loved one. One of these families attends my church and the other is a friend from high school who lost her dad.

Why is it that we hate posting about death? I sat down for about 5 minutes just thinking about whether or not to actually write a post about this. I think that it's because it scares me to think about death because there are so many people in my life right now that I cannot imagine losing. Maybe on a subconscious level (I don't enter Freud land too often so humor me, please) I worry that if I type it and think it, that it may in fact happen; which is totally unsound and has not a single shred of merit in any way, shape or form.

This is a part of ministry that I know I will have to face at some point but I do not look forward to it because I remember how difficult it is to lose someone and I am at a loss to convey God's grace through death to people.

If you have had experience with this - either in ministry or life in general, I'd greatly appreciate your ideas and experience stories!

No comments: